A co-op member speaks at CHF Canada's annual meeting (2018).
Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation is responsible for federal co-operative housing programs and policies. Its website offers research and advice on housing for Canadians. The Agency is pleased to provide services to CMHC. For more information, see Important Message.
In the past, Quebec, Ontario, B.C., and, to a limited extent, Manitoba have supported co-operative housing development, both as partners of the federal government and independently. Only B.C. and Quebec continue to do so.
Information about co-operative housing appears on some provincial government websites:
- British Columbia
- New Brunswick
- Newfoundland and Labrador
- Nova Scotia
In Ontario, responsibility for provincially administered co-operative and all non-profit housing programs was turned over to the municipal level of government in 1996.
In addition to the Co-operative Housing Federation of Canada (CHF Canada), which has a regional presence, many provinces have one or more associations of housing co-operatives. These provide their member co-operatives with commercial services, education, networking and support in dealing with governments.
- Northern Alberta Co-operative Housing Association (NACHA)
- Southern Alberta Co-operative Housing Association (SACHA)
- Central Ontario Co-operative Housing Federation (CO/CHF)
- Co-operative Housing Association of Eastern Ontario (CHASEO)
- Co-operative Housing Federation of Toronto (CHFT)
- Golden Horseshoe Co-operative Housing Federation (Golden Horseshoe)
- Peel/Halton Co-operative Housing Federation
- Confédération québécoise des coopératives d’habitation (CQCH)
- La Fédération des coopératives d’habitation de l’Estrie (FCHE)
- La Fédération des coopératives d’habitation de la Mauricie et du Centre-du-Québec (FECHMACQ)
- La Fédération des coopératives d'habitation montérégiennes (FECHAM)
- La Fédération intercoopérative en habitation de l’Outaouais (FIHAB)
- La Fédération des coopératives d'habitation de Québec, Chaudière-Appalaches (FECHAQC)
- La Fédération des coopératives d’habitation du Saguenay–Lac-Saint-Jean (FECHAS)
- La Fédération des coopératives d'habitation intermunicipale du Montréal métropolitain (FECHIMM)